Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Love Letter

I made white bean and kale soup for the second time in two weeks, and all I could think about was how much more delicious it would be with bacon, braised in the pot first, then pouring in the delicious veggies, spices, broth – all getting mixed up and infused with bacon grease, bacon butter. And, so, what am I to do?
Dear Bacon,
I’ve been thinking a lot about you lately. Missing you, wanting you, tasting you. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think of you. I long for the good ole days. I know my white bean and kale soup would be much more delicious with you in it, my simple bar of dark chocolate would be much more amazing with some crunchy bits of bacon, and my spinach salad just isn’t the same without bacon and your best friend bleu cheese. And then there is my hankering for oysters with salty bacon. You are the perfect accompaniment to so many things. Too many to list here. Your qualities are endless. Even my turkey burgers seem to miss that special something, and I know it’s you. What about the bacon jam from the food truck in Seattle that I never even got to truly appreciate? Bacon lollis from founding farmers. Pork belly from Woodberry Kitchen. Summer corn soup with bacon, BLTs! Oh, this is disastrous.

I am trying to go on without you. But, know that my stomach is empty. You are loved by so many, and will go on happily without me. As for me, life will never taste the same.

With adoration and deep regret,
amy

p. s. maybe I'll make an exception every now and again. you might not be good for the heart, but you're soo good for the soul. 

2 comments:

  1. i love this letter to bacon. so hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have made many a white bean and kale soup myself. :)

    and yes, i love me some bacon. i'm sorry you're currently baconless. i heard someone say one time that they could be a vegetarian if they could only eat bacon too.

    ReplyDelete