Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

God and Seitan

I've been having lots of crazy dreams lately. Some might call them visions. Some might even call them hallucinations. I don't know what the hell they are, but, I keep seeing animals, and they aren't happy that I've been eating them. I think it's God talking to me, and he's telling me that I can't be one with the universe and all that crap (not crap really) if I'm eating things I'm not supposed to be putting in my body. It's not necessary for us to eat animals, to kill animals, to live and be healthy. In fact, it's unhealthy.

The pastor at our church spoke about attentiveness last week. Not awareness, but being attentive in everything we do, everyday. Hearing that voice, always. Hearing it, and listening to it. My meat-eating heart is breaking, but everything else is unbreaking. So, I have to go with my God-gut. I'm going to be eating tempeh- or seitan-bacon from here on out (the name irony – clearly disturbing).

Here's a recipe for a fakin' bacon BLT from my new cookbook:

1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
8 slices tempeh bacon
4 slices whole grain bread
2 tbsp. vegenaise
2 romaine lettuce leaves
1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced
1 ripe Hass avocado, halved, pitted and thinly sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tempeh bacon and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes total. Remove from the skillet and drain on paper towels.

Toast the bread (I like Ezekiel sprouted bread) and spread with the mayo. Place 2 slices of prepared toast on cutting board and layer each one with lettuce, tomato, avocado and bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top each with remaining toast. Use a bread knife to cut these babies up, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment